This is how to access the Helb Portal: We will show you how to register, apply and check your loan status online using this simple steps.
Once the application for a loan is made, check with your educational institution in order to be issued with HELB Smart Card. TVET students can also access the portal to register and apply for a loan.
Smart cards allow timely disbursements of loans and eliminate errors experienced before. This card is divided into wallets i.e tuition, upkeep, and general purpose.
HELB has tuition while universities have meals, accommodation, pocket money and private fees, thus putting an end to the extravagant spending of HELB money.
The Loans Board also provides Loans and Bursaries to TVET Colleges and Institutes. This is only applicable to eligible applicants in TVET institutes recognized by the Ministry of Education, members of the Kenya Association of Technical Training Institutions (KATTI) and placed by the Kenya Universities Colleges and placement service(KUCCPS).
The maximum amount of HELB loan that a university student is allocated is Ksh 60,000 and the minimum HELB loan awarded to students is Ksh 35,000
HELB Loan Application Requirements
The following items are required before applying for HELB loan.
- A Copy of your National Identification card. HELB uses your ID No. to identify an applicant. You will also use your national ID No when creating an account.
- A valid bank account. Students who qualify for loan awards will have their personal bank accounts credited before the beginning of each Semester. Students should open accounts with the following collaborating banks:
- Kenya Commercial Bank
- National Bank of Kenya
- Kenya Post Office Savings Bank (Post Bank)
- Cooperative Bank of Kenya
- Equity Bank.
- KRA pin from the Kenya Revenue Authority. Click here how to apply for one. The Pin helps the board to track its loanee’s. It is, therefore, an important element in the application process.
- Your Parent (s)/ guardian particulars. This includes name, a copy of their National ID, marital status, the level of education, a source of income, employee details, current pay slip and employee No. (If employed).
- Your Parents Death certificate( If not existing).
- A copy of a letter of admission to the university/college.
- Copies of two guarantors’ ID.
- Three Recent colored passport size photograph
- KCSE and KCPE results slips at hand
- Three guarantors who are already employed (You should have a copy of their ID)
HELB Portal: How to Register, Apply and Check Your Loan
- Visit the HELB Portal website
- Fill in the form provided under Applicants Account Creation
- Click the Sign-Up Button
- Congratulations, you have created an account on The HELB Portal, please check your email address to activate your account.
- Login to your email address and click on HELB Portal Activation link
- Once back at the HELB Portal, log in with the credentials provided earlier.
- Update your Personal and Residence details, and Click Save Button
- You can now choose the appropriate loan product to apply under the Loans Tab
- Download and print two copies of your filled loan application form
- Have them signed and stamped by the relevant authority and guarantors(for first-time applicants only and by your dean at the University for subsequent applicants)
- If asked to create a new account, repeat the steps above.
- You can change details about your County, Constituency or Employment status, click the Biodata Tab, under personal details, click next, then change your Country/Constituency/Employment status and save
- Now you can apply for a loan from your County/Constituency.
- You need to provide accurate information about you in the subsequent fields.
Download the duly filled form and submit to the nearest HUDUMA CENTER or HELB offices for signing.
How to Check for HELB Loan Disbursement.
To Check for a Loan Disbursement after Loan application, just log in to your HELB Student Portal account. Click Loan Report and select Disbursement. You can also use your HELB Smart Card to check your loan status.
Having Trouble signing in?
If you are having trouble accessing your account, click this link to search for your account by either using your National ID or email address.
HELB awards scholarships to postgraduate students pursuing their Masters or Doctoral studies. This award is based on academic merit. The application period is April to July Applicants are required to pay a processing fee of Ksh 3,000. click here to apply.