The Mpesa 1Tap tag is the new, faster and safer way to pay with Mpesa. The 1tap tag is available as a card, wristband device or a phone sticker and is linked to your Mpesa account. This enables you to easily and securely make payments using the Lipa Na Mpesa payment service.
The payment service uses Near Field Communication (NFC) technology, which is a short-range wireless connectivity standard that uses magnetic field induction, to enable communication between devices when they’re touched together, or brought within a few centimeters of each other.
Benefits of having the Mpesa 1tap tag
- There is a higher level of privacy when purchasing goods using the Lipa na Mpesa services i.e You won’t have to show a confirmation message to anyone.
- The Mpesa 1tap solution is error free
- Mpesa 1tap is fast, secure and efficient all around.
The service was recently by rolled out by Safaricom to other five major counties i.e Nairobi, Nyeri, Kisumu, Mombasa after a successful trial phase in Nakuru County. The payment service which was currently available to the following shopping outlets is now available to each merchants operating in the above counties.
- Total petrol stations
- Choppies supermarkets
- QuickMart supermarket
- Shell, Naivas supermarkets
- OiLibya and finally
How to Use Safaricom Mpesa 1tap tags
- The amount to be paid is entered into the Mpesa 1Tap Point of Sale device by the merchant
- Tap your favorite Mpesa 1Tap tag (Card, wristband or Phone sticker) at the merchant’s payment machine.
- Enter your Mpesa secret PIN on the pop that displays on your phone and you’re good to go
How to obtain the Mpesa 1 Tap Tag (Card, Wristband or Phone Sticker)
Visit any Safaricom Retail outlet, or your nearest Safaricom authorized dealer to obtain and connect your Card, Wristband or Phone Sticker to your Mpesa account and activated for use.