Do you think the government hates hawkers? No, it doesn’t have hawkers. Then why does the county government engage them in a chase game all the time? The answer is simple; the hawkers do not have a license or permit to operate. This brings us to the topic on the cost of single business permit in Kenya. If you want to operate peacefully in any part of Kenya without trouble with the county officers, then you should ensure that your business has a single business permit. Could the cost of single business permit in Kenya be too expensive? We will find that out in a few.
Single business permit is important in ensuring that a business complies with the established rules for that specific type of business. The procedure for obtaining a business permit is the same but the cost might vary depending on the size, type, and location of the business.
Requirements to apply for single a single business permit
Individuals who intend to obtain a new business permit should go to the ward office and obtain a BR-1 form.
- Fill the form and give it back to the ward licensing officer.
- The officer pays your business a visit within 1-3 days to verify the business.
- The information obtained by the inspection team determines the fees to charge for the permit.
- The BR-1 form is then stamped and you are referred to the main office, City Hall
- The form is approved and the data entered in the Sbps data base.
- This is followed by the generation of an invoice bill and payment is made to the cash office.
- The business permit is signed and you are advised to collect it from the dispatch office.
Cost of single business permit in Kenya
- Application fee – Kshs. 200
- Large trader (21-50 employees) – KShs. 20,000
- Medium Trader (5-20 employees) – Kshs. 10,000
Before applying for a business permit, it is important to first register your business to ensure you already have a business ID number, an address and a business name.
- Copy of certificate of incorporation
- Proof of business ownership
- National ID/ Passport No
- Once you have registered your company or business, secured a business name, and obtained the necessary documentation, you can apply for a business certificate/permit at any county government offices in Kenya.
- The business permit is obtained from the county government in whose jurisdiction it operates.
- There are fees charged for registering a business but which vary depending on the number of employees or size of the establishment
- The business permit is renewed annually
- Business Name
- Personal ID name
- Land zone and plot number
- Number of employees
- Business physical address
- Postal Address of the Business
- Activity code for the business
- Details of whoever is obtaining the permit
Why you need a single business permit in Kenya
A Single business permit (Sbp) is required for the smooth operation of any business in Kenya. It ensures that a business complies with the established rules for that specific type of a business.
The procedure for obtaining a business permit is the same but the cost might vary depending on the size, type, and location of the business. The permit will also come in handy when acquiring a loan and applying for government Tenders