Ready to register a Non-Governmental Organisation?. In this article, I will show you how to register an NGO in Kenya.
According to the NGO Coordination Act, all NGO’s have to be registered under the NGO Coordination Board. It is therefore essential for us to know the steps that we need to take to register an NGO in Kenya. This article today is going to address this need.
However, lets first define what an NGO is. An NGO in full is a non-governmental and non-profit organisation. A group of local volunteer citizens or an international body may come together to form an NGO in Kenya.
How to register an NGO in Kenya
There are a few simple steps to follow to register an NGO in Kenya. Below we will explain in details each step pointing out all the preliminary requirements to be met.
The first step is to conduct a name search for the name you have decided to use to register your NGO. Name search is mainly carried out at Huduma Centers.
All that one has to do is to fill Form F2. This activity will cost you only Kes.1000. Upon confirmation of a name, the approved name is reserved for sixty days. In case of expiration of reservation period before proceeding to the registration phase, the reservation can be renewed for Kes.1000.
Qualifications to register an NGO in Kenya
- The NGO would have to demonstrate an act of public good that it will benefit and improve the lives of the population and the citizens of Kenya.
- There should be a Kenyan among the 3 top three officials when registering an International NGO
- At least One third (1/3) of all the board members MUST be Kenyan for all foreign-based NGOs
Procedure to follow to register an NGO in Kenya
- After the name search, one is required to submit two copies of duly filled Form 3.
- For the forms to be accepted, they have to be in block letters.
- One will also need to fill Form 1 stating the organisation’s contact person.
- A notification of the location of the office and postal address of the NGO signed by three top officials of the NGO
- A payment of Kes.400 should accompany form, 1 and 3 during submission.
- A submission of 2 passport size (2*2) coloured, taken on a white background for the 3 top officials and two other board members.
- The passports should contain the names of the persons and their organisations at the back.
NGO registration in Kenya Documents
- Copy of name reservation form duly paid
- Copies of ID/Passport and KRA PIN Certificates for the five proposed officials and Board members
- Submit a copy of a valid police clearance (certificate of Good Conduct, including the fingerprints and receipts) for Kenyans. Equivalent notarised clearance certificate for Foreigns from their Country of Origin(MUST not be more than six (6) months old).
- Two copies of the Constitution of the proposed NGO/INGO signed by both the proposed three(3) officials and the two (2) board members.
- Minutes authorising the filing of the application with a specific agenda and resolution to register the organisation as an NGO with the NGOs Board.
- NB: Election of the interim officials MUST form part of the Agenda.
- Proposed one year budget
- The proposed NGO has to present a forwarding letter to accompany this application.
- ORIGINAL signatures of the officials and members as applicable should also be presented during the application
- A Processing fee of KSH. 16,000/= for national NGOs and KSH.30,000/= for International NGOs
- The official has to submit information regarding the line ministry in which the proposed NGO will be operating in.
- Memorandum of Understanding between the organisation and the donors (If any). In case of an organisation registering a branch of an organisation already registered locally or overseas
Once all this information has been gathered, you are ready to make an application for registration of an NGO.
The next step is to present all these documents and information to the NGO Coordination Board and wait for its approval.
Moreover, its worth to note that instead of one going through this hassle by yourself, there are companies that carry out this service for their clients. Briantony International Consultants Limited is a company that helps out in registering NGO’s. To reach Briantony, please contact them through this number +254712107233.
How to register an NGO in Kenya Conclusion
Please note that all the requirements outlined above are both for Local and international NGO registration. However, an international NGO must prove beyond any reasonable doubt that they will be established for the benefit of the Kenyan citizens.