Find all the information you need to apply for the new Kenyan Passport online on the ecitizen platform. We show you how to apply for a Kenyan passport easily.
During the inauguration of President Kenyatta late last year, he promised all Africans a Kenyan passport at the entry point.
He further promised the East African community free entry to Kenya for business and other legal purposes without a Kenyan passport. However, the president was not demanding that other African countries reciprocate the favor.
So now that all African can access the ‘Kenyan passport’ at the entry point, how about people in the Diaspora and Kenyans who want to apply for the Kenyan passport. Back in 2015, the Department of Immigration in Kenya launched the eCitizen platform that enabled people to apply for the Kenyan e Passport online. In this article, we are going to give you a step by step process on how to apply for your passport on eCitizen
The ‘Kenyan passport’ application process has new rules, but the procedure for application remains the same.
Applicants will only visit the Immigration Department for biometric registration after completing the online process.The Immigration Department will roll out new passports (e-passports) embedded with a chip by September 2017.
You can now apply for, replace, renew and pay for your passport online by using either mobile money such as Mpesa or credit and debit cards.
The Kenyan passport application process waiting period has also been reduced to 10 Days thanks to the Department of Immigration through the eCitizen Portal. It is also possible to track your application online through the use of a tracking number and SMS service.
You need to have an eCitizen account in order to access this service or find out how to Create eCitizen Account.
Kenyan Passport Application on eCitizen
For you to make a Kenyan passport application on eCitizen, you are required to have an eCitizen account when making an application.
An application made on behalf of others will be rejected. Remember to Carry your original documents reflecting the details made online to the Immigration Office.
How much does it cost to get a passport in Kenya?
The following fees apply for the type of Passport Applied for.
- 48 pages Diplomatic passport – Ksh 7,550
- 32 Pages Ordinary “A” Series – Ksh 4,550
- 48 pages Ordinary “B” Series – Ksh 6,050
- 64 Pages Ordinary “C” Series – Ksh 7,050
- East African Passport – Ksh 990.
- Mutilated Passport -Ksh 10,050
- Lost Passport – Ksh 12,050
New Kenyan Passport application procedure
Login to eCitizen and navigate to Department of Immigration Services.
Click on “Get service Now” as shown in the picture above, then select the Blue button ” Make Application” on the next window.
Click on the Plus (+) sign on the Kenyan Passport tab and select the type of passport you want to apply.
Read through the Instructions for applying, then click on the Apply button at the bottom of the page.
Fill in the forms under ”Application Type” and “Page Count” by selecting the process you wish to undertake and click the “Continue Button”
- Review your application form at the end of steps 1 to 4, then click on the submit button at the bottom of the page
- Select the mode of payment such as Mpesa, Debit/Credit Card, Airtel Money and eCitizen Agent.( Mpesa Charges apply)
- Download and print the application together with three copies of the transaction receipts
- Sign your application, then submit them in person to the Immigration center near you. (Nairobi, Mombasa, and Kisumu)
What are the requirements to get a passport?
- An eCitizen passport application form with three copies of the transaction receipts
- Original birth certificate and a photocopy both sides.
- National ID Card (2nd generation) with a photocopy of both sides too.
- Applicants must present themselves for a digital photo capture
- Recommender’s ID Card (2nd generation).
- Consent letter for minors.
- For a Lost case, a Sworn affidavit and a police abstract are required
- Three Current passport size photos, see specifications
- Your current passport for replacement plus copies of the last three pages.
- Parents National ID cards and copy or Death Certificates if deceased
- An explanation letter for Lost and Mutilated cases explaining the circumstances of the loss or mutilation
Remember to print out the application form at the end. Sign and date it, add any documents or photographs that are needed, and submit it in person to the nearest immigration office for processing.
How long does it take to get a Kenyan Passport?
It takes 10 working days to get your first passport once you have physically submitted your form to the Immigration offices. For all other application types, it should take at least 5 working days.
It can take longer if more information is needed or your application has not been filled out correctly. All Passport applications should now be made via www.ecitizen.go.ke. Manual applications will NOT be accepted.
Kenyan Passport Application Control offices
- Nairobi Ground Floor (North Wing), Nyayo House – 254- 20-2222022
- Mombasa PC’s Office Building – +254-41-2222676
- Kisumu New Provincial Headquarters – 254-057-2024935/2025438/0700596071
- Eldoret Public Works building – +254-53-6337
- Garissa fax:0462102140
- Kenya Embassy, Washington D.C: 2249 R Street, N.W.Washinton D.C 20008 U.S.A – Tel:+12023876101 – www.kenyaembassy.com
- Kenya High Commission, London: 45 Portland place London WIBISIAS United Kingdom – +442076368364 – www.kenyahighcommission.net