Learn how you can get the new NTSA Smart Driving License in Kenya. We will show you how to acquire the Digital Driving License in Kenya in easy steps.
In April 2018, NTSA (National Transport and Safety Authority) rolled out Digital Driving Licenses or if you like Smart Driving License in Kenya. The purpose of these digital licenses was to instil order on the Kenyan roads.
Kenyans have until July 1st 2020 to get these new smart licences. But do you know it is easy to get a digital driving license in Kenya? Read on to find out how you can get NTSA Smart Driving License in Kenya.
Smart Driving License in Kenya
Remember all applications are on the Transport Integrated Management Systems AKA TIMS. So you have to either login or if you don’t have an account on TIMS go ahead and follow the following process to create an account.
Here is how to get a digital license in Kenya quickly.
Step 1: Create a TIMS Account / Login
The first step in acquiring the new digital driving licence in Kenya is to create an account on the TIMS website. If you already have an account go ahead and skip this step and login.
Here is how you create an account on TIMS:
- Visit the NTSA TIMS website on your Computer or Mobile Phone (I prefer using a computer than a smartphone. You can do this in a Cyber Cafe).
- Click on “Register An Account” on the top right of your computer.
- On the next screen, Make sure the individual is selected and enter your National ID Serial Number. Please NOTE The Serial Number is not the same as your ID Number.
- After ID Verification, provide all the required details as requested and follow the steps. The information required includes your KRA PIN Number, your Mother’s Maiden Name, your Occupation and your Phone Number.
- You will then request a phone verification which will be sent a code to your phone. Make sure the phone number is on, and it is your current number. Input the code, and you will that is it.
Step 2: Log in
The second step in applying for a digital license in Kenya is to log into the TIMS platform.
If you created an account in the previous step, you can go ahead and log in. However, if you already have an account proceed to login.
After you log in, you will be presented with a dashboard. Click on Driving License at the top of the screen, see the previous image.
Next, you will see a column on the left asking you to “Apply for Smart DL”. This is the section you need to apply for a digital driving license in Kenya. Click on it.
Step 4: Confirm & Update Details
The next step in getting the NTSA Smart Driving License is to confirm if your details are correct.
If you own a motor vehicle or already have a TIMS account, your details will be on the screen. You need to update your County and Blood Group.
Step 5: Pay
To get the new smart driving license in Kenya, you will be required to pay KES 3,000 plus an additional KES 50 convenience fee. The total amount you pay to NTSA TIMS is 3, 050.
Step 6: Book Appointment with NTSA
After making payment for your smart driving license, return to the screen and book a date to visit an NTSA Collection centre.
Step 7: Visit the NTSA Collection Center
The last step for you to get the digital driving license is for you to visit one of the collection centres you had initially booked. At the centres, they will collect your biometrics, take a digital photo and collect your signature.
After all these, your smart driving license will be ready in 5 Working days or more.
Smart Driving License Requirements
You need the following to get the new smart driving license in Kenya:
- Your National ID Number
- Working phone number
- Your KRA PIN
- and Ksh 3050 which you pay to TIMS