Here is a list of East Africa Countries and their Capital cities as of 2019. According to the United Nations, there are 20 countries that makeup East Africa.
East African countries were colonised by Germany, Britain, Belgium, and French. They all gained independence from their colonial masters and have since grown both economically and politically.
East Africa countries and their capitals
- Burundi -Bujumbura
- Djibouti -Djibouti
- Eritrea -Asmara
- Ethiopia -Addis Ababa
- Kenya -Nairobi
- Rwanda – Kigali
- South Sudan – Juba
- Somalia -Mogadishu
- Tanzania- Dodoma
- Uganda- Kampala
- Mozambique – Maputo
- Madagascar – Antananarivo
- Malawi – Lilongwe
- Zambia – Lusaka
- Zimbabwe – Harare
- Comoros – Moroni
- Mauritius – Port Louis
- Seychelles – Victoria
- Reunion – Saint-Denis
- Mayotte – Mamoudzou
Interesting facts about the East Africa region
- The two tallest mountains on the African continent, Mount Kilimanjaro and Mount Kenya, are located in East Africa.
- Lake Tanganyika, the second deepest lake on the earth, is in East Africa.
- In the 1400s Portuguese explorers became the first Europeans to explore East Africa; these explorations included modern-day Tanzania, Kenya, and Mozambique.
- In the late 1800s through the early 1900s European countries competed with each other to conquer and control vast regions of East Africa; this became known as “the Scramble for Africa”.
- The clothing worn by the people of East Africa varies. In urban areas many of the people where western-style dress. In rural areas, traditional clothing is worn by many people; often including bright colours and wraps.
- East Africa has some of the incredible wildlife in the world. In this region of Africa, you will find numerous animals including lions, zebras, wildebeest, cheetahs, hyenas, leopards, and well over one thousand species of birds.
- Running through East Africa is the Great Rift Valley. This trench, which is approximately 3,700 miles (6,000 kilometres) long, was formed by vigorous geological activity that resulted in the earth’s crust sinking. The Great Rift Valley is home to spectacular wildlife and fantastic scenery.
- Although bordered in a region full of turmoil, East Africa is perhaps the most peaceful place you can find on earth.
Interesting facts about the East African countries
- Lake Victoria, the largest lake in Africa and the largest tropical lake in the world, is located in Tanzania, Uganda, and Kenya.
- Kenya is often referred to as the “Safari Capital of the World” where tourist flock to see such animals such as lions, cheetahs, and elephants.
- The country of Seychelles is a group of small islands (an archipelago) located off the coast of East Africa in the Indian Ocean.
- Kenya and Tanzania are home to one of the modern wonders of the world – The Wildebeest Migration at the Mara River in Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya to Serengeti National Park in Tanzania.