Are you wondering how you can make extra cash by becoming an Uber driver? So how do you start, well first things first.
Just like any other job application, Joining Uber comes with a few requirements that you need to comply with in order to be part of their team. Here are some of the requirements to join Uber as a driver in Kenya.
Uber Kenya Minimum Driver requirements
- Be at least 21 years old
- National Id card
- PSV driving license
- Have a valid phone number and an email address
- Must undergo a complete safety assessment process
- Certification from Uber
- Use an iPhone or an Android device running 4.0 or newer
Uber Kenya Minimum Vehicle requirements
- PSV Insurance
- Motor vehicle registration certificate
- Vehicle must be 2006 or later
- Vehicle inspection report
- Partner National ID
- A working radio
- Vehicle must have 4-doors
How to join Uber in Kenya Sign-up Process
Uber Kenya Registration is easy and can take less than 5 minutes. To start registration, simply go to the Uber sign-up page. Make sure to fill up the required details and upload all the important information as required.
These include your driver’s license information, auto insurance, and registration, after submitting your basic information.
How Uber Kenya registration Works
When done with the sign-up process you will need to download the Uber partner app to start driving. You can find the app in both the Play Store and App Store. When you open the app you will be offline swipe right on the bar in the upper left-hand corner to go online so you can start accepting rides. Uber will link to Google Maps and guide you to the location where your passenger made their request.
Uber Kenya Frequently asked questions
How do I get paid?
What’s really nice is that Uber will send your weekly earnings to your bank account you’ll also have the option to sign up for an Uber Visa card where you can transfer funds instantly which really does come in handy or through M-Pesa.
2. What kind of insurance will I need?
I wanted to make sure I got the right infant information so I messaged Uber support they told me from the time you accept a trip until the completion of that trip and the riders exiting the vehicle they maintain the following coverage;
- Third-party liability
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist injury
- Contingent comprehensive and collision insurance (if you maintain a comprehensive and collision insurance on your own personal policy, Uber’s policy will cover physical damage to that vehicle up to the actual cash value of the vehicle)
3. Can I rent a car to drive for Uber?
The short answer Yes, for short-term rental options, car leasing or special car discounts available from top manufacturers, just visit Uber’s website for more details.
4. How do I do taxes for Uber?
You will use the 1099-K. Form payments are calculated from gross fares, tolls, sales tax, city fees, Airport fees, split fare fees, and safe ride fees. You can find this on the online Uber dashboard or Uber will mail it to you.
The other form that you might need to fill out is the 1099-MISC. Reports compensation between Uber and driver partners including referrals, incentive payments, prizes, and awards or any other income payments. If you don’t receive that in the mail or don’t see it, it means that you weren’t eligible and don’t need to worry about filling it out so you’re good to go.
5. Does Uber provide a car to people who want to be an Uber Driver?
Uber provides you with nothing rather than the driver app and 75% of each drive you take nothing more. On a final note feel free to leave any questions, suggestions or concerns below until then, Happy Ubering.