Uber cars requirements may seem a little bit tough if you’re new to cars and taxi business. But if you’re are a pro, joining Uber may not be that hard as you think.
Uber Kenya requires that their drivers, as well as cars, meet a certain threshold before they become partners and start doing the taxi business. If you want to be a driver, check out our previous post on how to join Uber as a driver.
Now, back to our subject, What are the minimum requirements your car needs to have before starting a taxi business in Kenya? Here are the requirements.
Uber cars requirements in Kenya
For vehicles accepted by uber Kenya, the car must meet the following minimum requirements.
- First of all, you must have a motor registration certificate for your vehicle.
- Next, your car should have clean PSV motor insurance premium.
- Your vehicle shouldn’t be too old. (If your car model year is 2006 or newer, Uber will have to inspect it for driving condition and quality before approval).
- The car should be in good condition with no cosmetic damage an free of commercial branding.
- Only 4-door car or minivans are accepted. No hatchbacks.
- Your car should pass a vehicle inspection by NTSA with flying colors.
In addition to the above, the following documents are required for car registration with Uber Kenya.
- An original PSV car insurance certificate.
- Copy of logbook
- An operating card and lastly
- The vehicle inspection report.
List of vehicles accepted by Uber Kenya
Uber Kenya offers three categories of rides depending on the budget comfort/luxury and urgency of their clients. These categories are; Uber Chapchap, UberSelect, and UberX. For each category, certain types of vehicles are accepted.
The CHAPCHAP model is the latest addition to the list of uber rides. CHAPCHAP is a partnership between Uber Kenya and CMC Motor Holding who import mini Suzuki Altos, a low-cost service vehicle that is fuel efficient, fast and budget friendly to its customers.
At first, drivers with high ratings, between 4-6 points, ware the only individuals who qualified to drive the Uber CHAPCHAP under a loan undersigned by Stanbic bank at a cost of Sh 835,000.
This means that the driver has to pay a minimum of Ksh 30,000 per month, after which, he/she will gain full ownership of the car when the loan is repaid in full. However, with small vehicles entering the market, 2017 models vehicles are also accepted.
Uber select cars Kenya
This is a low-cost ride with a little bit of a touch of luxury. The vehicle that are accepted in the category include:
- Subaru Forester.
- Nissan – Lafesta, Wingroad, and Bluebird.
- Mitsubishi Lancer
- Toyota Kenya has the most cars in this category which include: Corolla Axio, Fielder, Toyota Prius, Sienna, Toyota Voxy, Noah, Allion, Toyota Premio, Wish, Corona Premio, Corolla and last but not least, Toyota isis and lastly, Toyota 4Runner.
Uber Select Requirements
- The car model year should be 2008 or newer.
- No salvaged or rebuilt vehicles.
- The should have at least 4 seats
- No taxicabs, government cars, or other marked vehicles are allowed.
Uber cars requirements – UberX
UberX accepts all new car and has the same requirement as those for UberSelect apart from car model year which should be 2006 or newer.
List of popular cars used by UberX
- Suzuki Swift
- Mazda Demio
- Nissan Note
- Mitsubishi Colt
- Honda Fit
- Daihatsu Mira
- Nissan Insight
Toyota cars include;
- Toyota Vitz 1000 and 1300cc
- Belta 1000 and 1300cc
Update: Currently Uber Kenya accepts all types of cars but highly recommends low cost, fuel-efficient cars which also include Toyota Vitz or 800 -1200cc car models.