Here is a list of vehicles accepted by uber Kenya. Uber car requirements may seem a little bit tough if you’re new to cars and taxi business. But if you’re are a pro, joining Uber may not be that hard as you think.
Uber Kenya requires that its drivers, as well as cars, meet a certain threshold before they become partners and start doing the taxi business. If you want to be a driver, check out our previous post on how to join Uber as a driver.
Now, back to our subject, What are the minimum requirements your car needs to have before starting a taxi business in Kenya? Here are the requirements.
Uber cars Requirements in Kenya
For vehicles accepted by uber Kenya, the car must meet the following minimum requirements.
- First of all, you must have a motor registration certificate for your vehicle.
- Next, your car should have clean PSV motor insurance premium.
- The vehicle model year should be 2012 and above.
- The car should be in good condition with no cosmetic damage an free of commercial branding.
- Only 4-door cars accepted. No hatchbacks.
- Your car should pass a vehicle inspection by NTSA with flying colors.
In addition to the above, the following documents are required for car registration with Uber Kenya.
- An original PSV car insurance certificate.
- Motor vehicle registration book aka logbook.
- Partner National ID,
- Business permit, and lastly
- The vehicle inspection report.
Vehicles Accepted by Uber Kenya
Uber Kenya offers three categories of rides depending on the budget comfort/luxury and urgency of its clients. These categories are; Uber Chapchap, Uber Boda, and Ube Comfort. For each group, certain types of vehicles are accepted.
The CHAPCHAP model is the latest addition to the list of uber rides. CHAP CHAP is a partnership between Uber Kenya and CMC Motor Holding who import mini Suzuki Altos, a low-cost service vehicle that is fuel-efficient, fast and budget-friendly to its customers.
At first, drivers with high ratings, between 4-6 points, ware the only individuals who qualified to drive the Uber CHAPCHAP under a loan undersigned by Stanbic bank at a cost of Sh 835,000.
This means that the driver has to pay a minimum of Ksh 30,000 per month, after which, he/she will gain full ownership of the car when the loan is repaid in full.
However, small hatchbacks with an engine capacity of 1300cc or less and an 8 year age limit are eligible for uberCHAPCHAP trips.
Popular UberChapChap cars include
- Daihatsu Boon, Mira, and Daihatsu Move
- Honda Fit and Honda Jazz
- Maruti Suzuki Swift
- Mazda Carol and Mazda Demio
- Mitsubishi Colt and Mitsubishi Mirage
- Nissan Leaf and also Nissan March
- Renault Kwid
- Suzuki Alto, Splash and Suzuki Swift
- Toyota Passo, Pixis, Toyota Vitz and Yaris.
Uber cars requirements – Uber Comfort
Uber comfort accepts spacious sedans and stations wagons with an engine capacity above 1300cc and less than or equal to 1800cc.
List of popular cars used by Uber Comfort
- Mazda Axela
- Nissan Tiida/Latio
- Honda Insight, Fit Shuttle, and lastly, Honda Airwave
- Nissan Wingroad
Toyota cars include;
- Toyota Allion
- Toyota Wish
- Toyota Isis
- And lastly Toyota Belta 1000 and 1300cc
Update: Currently, Uber Kenya accepts all types of vehicles but highly recommends low cost, fuel-efficient cars, which also include Toyota Vitz or 800 -1200cc car models.
Popular vehicle inspection centers
You can take your car once each and every year to one of these vehicle inspection centers.
- Any Kingsway tyres center near you.
- AutieXpress Kenya Ltd