Kenyatta University is a multi-campus public university in Kenya. It is home to some of the world’s top scholars, researchers and experts in diverse fields.
MOTTO: Knowledge is a source of strength.
VISION: To be dynamic, inclusive and competitive center of excellence in teaching, learning, research and service to humanity
MISSION: To provide quality education and training, through knowledge generation, research innovation, creativity and community service
The main campus of Kenyatta university is located approximately 18 kilometers northeast of Nairobi at Kahawa in Kiambu county , Ruiru constituency.It’s coordinates are;1010’50.0’’S 36055’41.0’’E ,that is, latitude -1.18056 and longitude 36.928042
Kenyatta University has various campuses located in major cities/town countrywide:
- Kericho campus which is located in Kericho
- Nakuru campus which is located in Nakuru
- Embu campus which is located in Embu
- Nyeri campus located in Nyeri
- Ruiru campus located in Ruiru
- Kitui campus located in Kitui
- Mombasa campus located in Mombasa
- City centre campus located in Nairobi central business district
- arusha campus located in Arusha(Tanzania)
- Kigali campus located in Kigali(rwanda)
- Dadaab campus located in Dadaab
- Parklands campus located in Parklands
- And lastly main campus which is located in Kahawa , Nairobi
Kenyatta University is a chartered university based in Nairobi located in Kahawa.
History of Kenyatta University
The history of Kenyatta University dates back in the year 1965 where the British government handed over templer barrack to the government of Kenya. In result it established an institution which was nation whose main aim was to educate secondary teachers for the expansion of the education system in Kenya. The barrack which became an institution was named Kenyatta College in honor of Mzee Jommo Kenyatta who was the founding president of the nation. The college was initially divided into two but later in 1970 Kenyatta college became a constitute university of Nairobi by the act of parliament. In 1973 there was the first admission of students which registered about 200 students in pursue of studies which eventually led to the award of bachelor of education in Nairobi university. The number of students eventually increased by 1973 to about 7000 students. In the year 1985, Kenyatta University became a fully fledged university on august 23rd after receiving a presidential asset to become an independent university and in the same year on 17th December the university was inaugurated and it started establishing new faculties and constituent college.
Kenyatta University has various schools which are made up of several departments which include;
- School of business: Kenyatta University offers various business programmes which include BSc. Commerce with specialization in finance, BSc. Marketing, BSc. Human resource and actuarial science, Bsc.accounting.A number of master’s programmes in school of business is also offered.
- School of economics: The school of economics in Kenyatta university was established in the year 2008.It provides various courses which include; BSc in economics and statistics and also offers master’s programme in economics.
- School of education: school of education in Kenyatta University started way back in the year 1970 when the faculty was in Nairobi University.
- School of agriculture and enterprise development (SAED): school of SAED was established in the year 2010 and currently offering training courses in agriculture.
- School of visual and open learning;
- School of architecture and the built environment; : It was established in the year 2016 and it comprises if various departments which include dep of architecture and interior design, department of special planning and urban management, department of construction and real management.
- School of humanities and social sciences: It was established in the year 2002 and it comprises if various departments which include;dep of geography, dep of psychology,dep of sociology,dep of literature
- School of visual and performing arts: It was established in the year 2008 and it comprises if various departments which include; dep of theatre arts and film technology, dep of music and dance, dep of fine art and design.
- School of environmental studies: It was established in the year 2003 and it comprises if various departments which include;
- School of applied human sciences: : It was established in the year 2008 and it comprises if various departments which include;
- School of public health: It was established in the year 2004 and it comprises if various departments which include;
- School of law: It comprises of two departments;dep of public law and dep of private law
- School of hospitality and tourism; It comprises of two departments which include department of hospitality management and department of tourism management
- School of medicine: It was established in the year 2011 and it comprises if various departments which include;
- dept of pathology
- dept of pharmacy and alternative medicine
- dept of medical laboratory sciences
- dept of nursing sciences
- dept of human anatomy
- dept of medical physiology
- dept of pediatrics and child health
- dept of surgery and orthopedic
- dept of obstetrics and gynecology
- School of creative, film, and media studies: It was established in the year 2015 and it comprises if various departments which include; dept of communication and media studies, department of film and theater arts
- School of graduate studies
- School of engineering and technology: : It was established in the year 1985 and it comprises if various departments which include;
- Dept of civil engineering
- School of pure and applied sciences:it has various departments which include;
- Dept of biochemistry and biotechnology
- Dept of chemistry
- Dept of mathematics
- dept of microbiology
- Dept of statistics and actuarial sciences
- Dept of physics
- Dept of plant sciences
- Dept of zoological sciences
- Dept of mathematics
Students from all over the country are admitted every year to pursue various courses offered in the campus. Some pursue certificate, diploma, undergraduate, masters and phd programmes not forgetting the professionals who are busy with the day-to-day life, Kenyatta university offers online courses which suits them since it has a digital school of virtual an open learning.
Kenyatta University being a public university admits a large number of students annually hence the need of hostels to accommodate the students. Kenyatta University has some of the largest hostels where nyayo hostel is famous for being the largest hostels in any university in Kenya. There are also off campus hostels offered by the university in the nearby towns.
In terms of facilities the university does not only offers several facilities to the students but also to the local community. Some of these facilities include;
- Kenyatta conference center
- Kenyatta funeral home
- Kenyatta university postmodern library
KENYATTA CONFERENCE CENTRE
The conference centre is located inside the university main campus in kahawa,Nairobi where it provides peaceful environment where meetings can be held and discussed. The conference centre comprises of 60 single rooms and 37 double rooms offering great accommodation and catering services.
POST MODERN LIBRARY
Kenyatta University has the largest modern library among the universities in Kenya. The library is upgraded with high-tech facilities with come in handy to most of the student in terms of knowledge.
KENYATTA FUNERAL HOME
The local community benefit from the funeral home since it offers services such as a chapel, hearse services and also a mausoleum which is affordable hence suits the community.
Kenyatta University is ranked among the top university in sports. This doesn’t come in surprise since the university is well equipped with best sports facilities, a coach who is full of positive energy. The facilities that are offered by the university include; eights tennis courts, three netball fields, two hockey field, three handball courts, one gymnasium, two swimming pool, four volleyball courts, one squash courts, four basketball courts, two badminton courts, five soccer fields, one rugby field, two athletics and track field and to common rooms which are used for the board games and for indoor sports. Some of the outdoor sports include; hockey, football, netball, volleyball, handball and others. The indoor sports include; table tennis, badminton, boxing, taekwondo, karate, scrabble, wrestling, fitness modelling, darts and chess.
Due to the students (players) dedication and passion towards the sports played there have won in various sports categories over the past years which include;
In 2004 it was ranked the 2nd best university in East Africa University Games; In 2006 it was ranked the 6th best university in East Africa Games; Nation champion, Kenya University Games in 2009; In 2010 it was ranked as the 3rd best university in east Africa games; Nation champion, Kenya University Games in 2011 and also Nation champion, Kenya University Games in 2012.