When we say cheapest smartphones in Kenya, we mean phones that cost below Ksh 10k and meet certain features. well, in this post we are going to list all the specs of some of the cheapest phones, price and finally where to get them.
Note: We are not sales agents of any of the online shops, our goal is to provide information as it is based on our research.
In this post, we have only considered popular Android phones. This is because of the availability of accessories and spare parts from this from top brands.
Top 10 cheapest smartphones in Kenya
Let’s start our discussion by looking first at cheap Tecno phones in Kenya then we move on categorically.
This is the cheapest smartphones in the Tecno F series, you can use it as a replacement in case you’ve just lost your phone or you can also use it as a place holder while waiting for something better as many peeps would say.
- Display size: 5.0-inch display
- RAM: 1GB+8GB internal storage
- OS: Android 8.1 GO Edition
- Processor: 1.3GHz Quad-Core
- Camera: 5MP dual flash + 2MP front shooter with flash
- Network: Dual SIM and supports both 3G and 2G networks
- Price: Ksh 6,300 – 6,700 on Jumia Kenya.
This is the newest additions to the Tecno list of cheapest smartphones in Kenya. The phone features the popular android 8 Go pro which comes pre-loaded with all the Go edition apps.
Tecno POP2 is available in three main colors which are; City blue, Midnight black, and lastly Champagne Gold. Am not well versed with colors but I guess you may have to Google to know exactly what am talking about.
POP2 is currently available on masoko.com at a price range of between Ksh 6,999 and 8,000 on Jumia depending on the seller.
- Android version: 8.1 Oreo Go Edition
- Battery: 2400mAh non-removable
- Display size: 5.5-inch Full View LCD capacitive touchscreen
- CPU: Quad-core 1.3GHz, MediaTek MT6580
- RAM: 1GB RAM and 8GB internal storage
- Camera: A 5MP rear camera and 8MP selfie camera.
Tecno Spark 2 KA7 – ksh 10,900
- Display size: 6.0″
- Operating system: Android 8.0 Oreo – 1440×720 pixels
- Storage capacity: 16GB ROM, 1 GB RAM
- Camera: 13MP primary shooter and 8MP selfie Camera
- You can get the phone online from Safaricom’s online shop aka masoko.com
Tecno Pouvoir 2 Air – Ksh 10,800
- 8MP Front + 13MP Rear Camera
- OS version: HiOS 8.1 Go edition
- RAM: 1 GB, 16GB ROM
- Display size: 6.0” HD
- Battery: 5000mAh
Next, on our list of cheapest smartphones in Kenya, we take a look at Samsung phones. As you know, Samsung is the biggest manufacturer of Android devices and their phones aren’t cheap either.
However, Samsung decided to manufacture budget-friendly smartphones to beat their top competitors in Africa who include; Huawei, Tecno, and Infinix among others.
Samsung Galaxy J1 mini prime – Price Ksh 8,999 on masoko.com
- Operating System: Android 5.1
- Battery: Li-Ion 1500 mAh removable
- Display: 4.0 Inches
- Camera: Primary 5MP, secondary – VGA
- Storage capacity: 1GB RAM/8GB ROM expandable
Samsung Grand Prime Plus
This is still perhaps the most resilient Samsung smartphones I have ever seen. Launched in November 2016, the phone has and still continues to survive all new Samsung Galaxy additions. Samsung ought to indite it into the hall of fame. The only downside is that the android version or the operating system cannot be updated.
- Display size: 5.0
- Operating system: Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- Camera: 8MP main camera coupled with a 5M selfie shooter
- Network connectivity: 3G/4G
- Storage Capacity: 8GB/1GB RAM
- Battery: Removable Li-Ion 2600 mAh
- Sim type: Single Sim.
- Price: The price keeps on dropping, currently the phone retails at Ksh 8,999 on masoko.com
Samsung Galaxy J1 Ace – Dual SIM
Launched in September 2015, J1 Ace one of the oldest
- Display Size: 4.3″ Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen.
- Operating System: Android 4.4.4
- Camera: 5MP primary and 2MP secondary
- Storage/RAM: 4GB ROM / 512MB RAM
- Sim type: Dual Sim.
- Battery type: Removable Li-Ion 1800 mAh
- Price Ksh 7,800 on Safaricom’s masoko.com
Huawei Y5 Lite 2018 – Ksh 8,999
Huawei continues to give luster to its middle and entry gadgets and has renewed its Y range for weeks, consisting of the already presented Huawei Y6 and Huawei Y7, and now we receive a new exponent.
It is a new generation of Huawei Y5, which comes accompanied by the last name 2018 to complete the manufacturer’s catalog.
The new Huawei Y5 2018 has now become part of the Y line series of smartphones composed of cheap phones that have become more competitive over the years.
- Screen Size: 5.45 inches
- Android 8.1.0 (Android Oreo Go Edition)
- Storage: 1 GB RAM + 16 GB ROM
- Rear Camera: 8MP
- Front Camera: 5MP
- Battery: 3020 mAh
Nokia 1 – Ksh 5,999
- Display Size: 4.5 inches
- Camera: 5MP primary, 2MP secondary
- Storage Capacity: 8GB ROM/1GB RAM
- OS: Android 8.0.
- Battery: Removable 2150mAh
- Sim Type: Single Sim
- Operating System: Android V7
- CPU: Quad-Core 1.3 GHz processor
- Display: 5 inches
- Sim Type: Single Sim
- Camera: 5MP
- Network: 3G Enabled
- 8GB Internal Memory
- Battery: 2000mAh