How can one apply for a South African Visa in Kenya? What requirements do I have to have met in order to submit a Visa? One might also need to know about the various types of South African Visa available for them to choose from when making an application. As well as the right procedure to follow while submitting their application. In this article, we attempt to answer all this and other questions that you might have about getting a South Africa Visa. Join us as we aim to furnish you with all the details that you may need in order to make the process to be as seamless as possible.
What requirements do I have to meet before submitting my South African Visa application?
There is a general checklist that one has to fulfill before submitting a South African Visa application. The list of documents and details required is standard for everyone regardless of the type of Visa you need. These documents and details include:
- A valid Kenyan passport that is still valid for all the days that you will be in South African. Your passport must have at least 2 to 3 blank pages. The passport should be valid for over 30 days.
- One recent passport photo was taken within the last 30 days. This passport photo should be taken against a white background. The size specification is 4.5cm by 3.5cm.
- Ensure you have a photocopy of your passports biodata page.
- Yellow fever certificate as well as a photocopy of its first and middle pages.
- Filled South African Visa application form(DHA-84). The form should be filled in block letters using a black pen. Moreover, the signature on this application form should match the signature on your passport.
- You should show proof of regular income.
- If a business owner, attach your KRA tax certificate as well as a certificate of registration.
- For those employed, present copies of your payslip over three months. In addition to this, you should also present a letter from your employer on the company letterhead indicating your start date, salary, role, length of time you intend to stay in South Africa and company details.
- Students should present an introduction letter from their institution of learning
- Freelancers are also not left behind. All they have to present is their business registration, proof that you receive payments regularly, as well as indicating some of the sites that you work with.
- Proof to show a verifiable flight booking as well as accommodation. If you will be hosted by a friend or family they should send an invitation letter with a verifiable address.
Types of South African Visas that a Kenyan Citizen is eligible to apply
You might have all the documents and details required to apply for a visa as outlined below. But you might be confused and overwhelmed by the many types available. Here we will look at the various types of South African Visas that one can select from when applying for a visa.
There are two main types of south African Visas. These are:
- Short term Visas
- These visas are issued for a maximum period of three months. Once expired, one has to come back to Kenya as there is no option of converting them to long term visas. Short term visas include Visitor visa, Business visa, Transit Visa, Holiday Visa, Medical visa, interview visa among others.
- Long Term Visas
- This Visa is for anyone who would like to stay in South Africa for more than three months. In order to get this Visa, you really need to have a very good reason. Some Long term visa includes: Critical skills transfer visa, Work permit, Study permit for University and other tertiary education, retired persons visa, treaty visa, Intercompany transfer visa among others.
- Please note that when applying for Long term South African visa in Kenya, you will need to provide some extra documents. These documents include:
- A waiver request form where applicable
- Medical certificate and a radiology report
- Police clearance certificate
- The medical scheme that suits you.
Once you have selected the type of visa that suits the purpose which you are visiting South Africa. It is now time to make your application. Below we will guide you through the process of making a winning visa application.
Step by Step guide to applying for the Visa
Applying for your South African Visa is very easy and simple. All that one has to note is that applications are made to VSF global application, Nairobi. As a result, there is no need to go to the South African embassy for a visa application.
However, if you are applying for a permit, you will need to go through the High Commission of South Africa in Kenya.
- The first step is to fill in the South Africa Visa application form. Make sure that you attach all the general documents requested above.
- Once this is done, submit the documents manually or via courier services at VSF global offices. Their offices are located at Westlands, Parkfield building Off Waiyaki way. Open from Monday to Friday from 8 am to 3 pm EAT.
- If applying for a visa to stay in South Africa for less than 30 days, you will not be charged any Visa application fee. However, you will be required to pay a service charge fee of Ksh. 4950. When staying for more than 30 days a visa application fee of Ksh.4800.
How long does it take for my visa to be processed?
It is expected that it should take only 7 days to process your South African Visa application. However, in order to avoid all the unexpected inconveniences, it is necessary to start this process at least 4 weeks before your scheduled travel. This gives you enough time to take in any unexpected turn of events that may occur. This is the ultimate guide to follow when you need to know how to apply for a South African visa in Kenya. After following this guide, you are bound to receiving your visa.