Okoa Stima was founded by Kenya Power & Lighting Company in partnership with Safaricom in 2015 and is currently active. It comes in handy when you experience a sudden blackout, and you don’t have enough fund to pay for electricity.
It is a service that offers both Pre-Pay and Post-Pay customers a quick solution for all their power access needs. Services provided by Okoa Stima include:
- Account Registration
- Electricity Bill Payment
- Purchase of tokens
- Electricity Bill querying and presentment, and finally
- Access to emergency power top-up.
A minimum loan amount of Ksh 100 and a maximum of Ksh 2000 can be borrowed. The loans attract an interest rate of 10%. The loan is disbursed and repaid through Mpesa and has a duration of 7 days. Your historical relationship with KPLC determines your loan limit.
Read also how to pay KPLC bill through Mpesa
How Okoa Stima Service Works
OKOA Stima service is only available to Safaricom subscribers. Your Mpesa account will be automatically deducted with an amount of top-up plus a facility fee. This occurs when you are requesting for OKOA Stima Loan to avoid delay.
To be eligible for a loan, you are required to register up to 3 meters for pre-paid or post-paid accounts. Tokens purchased or Bills paid cannot be used on another meter except the three you have registered.
NOTE: Any amount that you request is sent to you as a token for prepaid accounts or is used to clear your post-paid bill at KPLC.
Steps to Okoa Stima
To Okoa Stima
- Dial *885# from your Safaricom line.
- Accept Okoa Stima terms and conditions.
- Provide your National ID number
- Set up your preferred PIN and confirm
- After you have received a confirmation message via SMS, select continue.
- Enter your Service PIN
- Select register meter/account and select “Register Now.”
- Choose your account type, either Prepaid or Postpaid
- Enter the KPLC prepaid meter number or account number for post-pay customers and submit your application.
How to buy KPLC Tokens
You can request for KPLC tokens by following the steps below once you are done with account registration. Ensure that you have sufficient funds on your Mpesa account. See also on how to check your KPLC Bill online
- Dial *885# on you Safaricom phone and enter your PIN.
- Select pre-paid account option
- Choose the meter you want to buy the token for if you had registered more than one meter.
- Your Mpesa account is automatically deducted, and You will receive a confirmation message from Mpesa and Kenya Power about your payment.
Steps to Request For Okoa Stima – Prepaid Customers
To request for OKA Stima,
- Dial *885# using your Safaricom line and enter the PIN
- Select the prepaid option and then “Okoa Stima.”
- Choose the ‘request emergency top-up’ option, followed by the Meter.
- Select the preset Okoa amounts ranging from Ksh 100 to Ksh 1000 and confirm.
How to Repay your Okoa Stima Loan on Pre-pay
To repay your loan, ensure that you have sufficient funds on your Mpesa account.
- Dial *885# on your Safaricom phone and enter your PIN
- Select pre-paid and then Okoa Stima.
- Choose the “reply okoa stima” option, i.e. If you have an outstanding loan
- Select either full payment or a part payment, and it depends on the amount you have.
A notification message would be sent to you indicating your balance if you selected partial payment. For full payment, you will receive a notification, and that amount will be deducted from your Mpesa account.
How to Request Okoa Stima for Post-Pay Customers
For customers on Post-pay tariff,
- Dial *885# using your Safaricom line, enter your PIN then select the postpaid option
- Select the type of account you wish to request for a loan, the bill on the account is automatically displayed.
- Select Okoa Stima and follow the system prompts.
How do I Repay My Post-Pay KPLC OKOA Stima Loan?
To repay your post-pay OKOA Stima loan follow this Steps
- Dial *885# on your Safaricom smartphone, enter your secret PIN then select post-pay.
- Select the registered account, the bill on the account is displayed, Select pay bill via Mpesa
- Select either “pay in full” or “part-payment” and enter the amount to be paid then submit your application
A confirmation message will be sent to you immediately showing the bill clearance and if part payment, message received will indicate balance.
To avoid hustles of dialling, download the OKOA Stima app from either APP store or Playstore