SGR train booking is a simple process. Madaraka Express has finally increased the frequency of travels between Nairobi and Mombasa thus making passengers enjoy the train services to and from the Intermediate Stations. So, here is how to book SGR online.
The Madaraka Express offers two types of train services, Express train service between two cities and Inter-county train service between stations.
The Express train plies between the two cities providing express services, while the inter-county train is scheduled to make stops at the intermediate stations subject to passenger availability.
Train tickets are automated thus enabling train personnel running the inter-county train to schedule the stops, according to information from the system.
SGR train booking: SGR tickets booking online
SGR Kenya online booking
Here is how to book the Madaraka Express train online and print out your receipt online
- Visit https://metickets.krc.co.ke/
- Select your travel itinerary details i.e Train type, travel dates, to and fro destination from the available menus.
- Click on the “Book a Train” button at the bottom.
- On the next page, Select the type of coach (First class or Second class) by selecting from one of the drop-down boxes.
- Choose the number of adults and children.
- The total train fare is indicated.
- Click on the “Book a Train” button again.
- On the booking information page, provide your personal details and your preferred mode of payment.
- Agree to terms and conditions
- You can either choose to pay now or pay later at the terminal station.
- Select your Seat number accordingly from the available seats and then click on the “Check Out” Button at the bottom of the page
- Pass the security capture test and click on the “Preview & Confirm” button to verify your information. Confirm again to proceed with payment and you are good to go.
- Log into your email account(Search for the Keyword “Booking” in your email) to view detail of your receipt and payment. To print your receipt, click on the link indicated on the mail.
Phew! That was easy, was it? I prefer a seat close to the canteen! Click here to find out more about Madaraka Express online booking ticketing terms and conditions
SGR train booking via mpesa
Steps for Madaraka Express train ticket booking using Phone.
- Access your Mpesa menu on your phone.
- Go to pay bills and select Lipa Na Mpesa
- Select Paybill
- Enter the Paybill number 809888.
- Input the account number 2263197
- Enter the given amount as shown and confirm.
- Wait for a Confirmation SMS from Mpesa
- Click on the confirm payment button below to complete your ticket booking.
- Standard Mpesa charges and rates apply.
Madaraka Express – Train Boarding
In Nairobi, the connect services are offered by the Commuter Train and City shuttle buses at the CBD railway station. The Commuter train picks up customers at 06:30 am and transport them to the Nairobi Terminus in Syokimau at Ksh 50
For passengers in Mombasa, the boarding station is at the Mombasa Terminus in Miritini, Passengers are picked up at the old Mombasa Railways station(CBD) and then transported to the Terminus by buses.
The same buses transport passengers on arrival from the Mombasa Terminus to Mombasa CBD. The cost is Ksh 100.
SGR train booking
The Madaraka Express tickets are available from the self-service machines at the respective termini/stations. The tickets sales start between 07:00 am and 04:00 pm daily.
Passengers are allowed to book three days prior to the date of travel and pay for their boarding tickets by cash, Mpesa or Debit/Credit card.
Buses Pick or drop passengers from the old Mombasa Railways station transports them to the terminus station for boarding located in Miritini.
Commuter Train and City shuttle buses at the CBD railway station provide connect Services in Nairobi, City Shuttle buses pick up customers at 07:00 am and transport them to the Nairobi Terminus in Syokimau.
The Commuter train picks up customers at 08:00 am from the CBD Railways station and transports them to the Nairobi Terminus in Syokimau.
- Group bookings (over 20 pax) should be made 9 days prior to the date of travel.
- It is possible to book 7 days in advance and a return ticket as long as it is within the 7 day window period.
- Tickets can also be bought over the counter at the Mombasa and Nairobi Terminus and at the respective departing Intermediate station.
- Exclusive group tickets (Charter Service) go for Ksh 1,200 economy and Ksh 3,600 first class.
Madaraka Express Daily (Sunday – Monday) Train Schedule Between Msa and Nrb
|Schedule||Departure||Arrival||First Class Ksh||Second Class Ksh|
|MOMBASA – NAIROBI (N1)||08:00 AM||14:07 PM||3,000.00||1000.00|
|MOMBASA – NAIROBI (E1)||3:30 PM||20:12 PM||3,000.00||1000.00|
|NAIROBI-MOMBASA (N2)||08:00 AM||13:40 PM||3,000.00||1000.00|
|NAIROBI-MOMBASA (E1)||3:30 PM||20:20 PM||3,000.00||1000.00|
The fare does not apply to Children below the age of 3 years. Adult fares apply to children whose age is above 11 years. For children between age 3 – 11 years, the following fare apply:
- First class – Ksh 500
- Second class – Ksh 500
Click here to view routes and rates between Nairobi CBD and Syokimau station on a train.
List of Madaraka Express Stations.
Here is a list of all the madaraka express train stations
- Mombasa Railway Station(Mariakani)
- Mtito Andei
- Athi River and lastly
- Nairobi South Railway Station.