“Someone needs to buy a radio station, then play nothing but audio books, with a different genre of book played at set times. That way we can always have something new to read, no matter where we are.”
― Shana Chartier
I started on a new book today morning, book five. I intend to finish reading it in the next five days before the month ends.
“Hello, my name is Wanjala and I am an addict. What can we call an obsession with books? ‘Bookaholism?’ If so then I am a shameless bookaholic, and I am not quitting anytime soon.”
What About Audio Books?
Listening to audiobooks is becoming a common practice. It is a productive use of ‘free’ time as you work other chores in the house. I use them to gain constructive noise when I want to relax/calm down.
There is a catch though, if the narrator isn’t interesting, you might hate the book altogether, no matter how great the content is.
How then does one survive an audiobook? It is advised that you read a book before listening to it; it will make more sense that way. The other way is by reading and listening concurrently; the comprehension is great!
Since December 2017, I have listened to four audio books. Each more than once. For me, they are a great filler for my mornings as I prepare for work. I learn a thing or two all the time. Just like a good book, audio books are good to be listened to from time and time again.
- The Richest Man In Babylon – listening to its audiobook is how I fell in love with it. As much as I have read it once, I feel like I have read it more than a dozen times. The narration still rings in my mind.
- Blue Ocean Strategy – is a book I have delayed to read for more than a year. A great read for entrepreneurs and anyone who looks to set themselves apart in the red ocean of normal businesses. Handling a work assignment led to me listening to it as I read it. It is still on my playlist.
- Awakening The Giant Within – a wonderful book that describes the untapped potential that lies within us all but it goes untapped. No matter how small you are, you have a giant lying within you. The best lesson from this book is: ‘The secret of success is learning how to use pain and pleasure instead of having pain and pleasure use you. If you do that, you’re in control of your life. If you don’t, life controls you.’ Tony Robbins.
- Think And Grow Rich – is the latest audiobook I am listening to. The audio I have doesn’t have an awesome narrator but the content therein is beautiful. The far I have come I have learned that it is inclined to prove that the mind can achieve anything it decided to and works towards.
- Rework – is a good read for start-ups and entrepreneurs. It is a shame that I have had this book for more than a year and not even once did I read it. In this new year, I purpose to read and listen to it.
Make Good Use Of That Headset
We live in a busy world but I am sure you can spare an hour or two to listen to a book. It might a funny experience at first but you will get used to it as time goes by.
My audiobook folder so far has ten books, I look to add to it. Whether you read or listen, what matters, in the end, is the steps you take.
Have a great weekend ahead!