The third call for M.Sc and Ph.D. scholarships available through the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) funding support.
DAAD promotes international academic exchange as well as educational cooperation with developing countries through various funding and scholarship programmes.
These scholarships are targeting applicants from Kenya and Sub-Saharan Africa region to support selected M.Sc and Ph.D. Programmes.
The scholarships are tenable for 2018/19 academic period which will commence in September 2018 on a full-time basis only; therefore, only candidates available to start the training during this period should apply.
DAAD M.Sc and Ph.D. Scholarships Eligible Programs
The call is open to students who are interested/ registered in the following programmes at Kenyans
- M.Sc in Renewable Energy Technology
- M.Sc in Biotechnology
- M.Sc in Environmental Planning and Management
- M.Sc in Integrated Watershed Management
- Ph.D. in Renewable Energy Technology
- Ph.D. in Biotechnology
- Ph.D. in Environmental Planning and Management
Details about the above programmes and the requirements are accessible here.
Female applicants, candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
Duration and commencement
Scholarships are available for up to a maximum of two years (Master) and three years (Ph.D.) and will initially be granted for one year but may be extended upon individual student request with evidence of satisfactory performance using a form provided by DAAD.
i. Applicants must have completed their last university degree less than 6 years ago at the time of application.
ii. Must be nationals of a Sub-Saharan Africa country.
iii. Signed curriculum vitae scanned in PDF; please use the Europass CV template (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu )
iv. A signed copy of this DAAD Information Sheet for Students
v. Certified scanned PDF copies of all university degree certificates
vi. Certified scanned PDF copies of all university transcripts
vii. At least temporary admission letter including fee structure of the respective course or proof of admission process (payment of application fee and submission of application documents). They should be a scanned PDF copy.
For Master candidates only:
• Letter of motivation (Maximum 2 pages in PDF)
• Academic reference from senior lecturer and proof of employment if applicable (scanned PDF copy)
ix. For Ph.D. candidates only:
• Ph.D. research proposal including a detailed work plan (10 to 15 pages); plagiarism will be checked and rejected if above 24%!
• Recommendation letter by head of the department indicating that you are a present or prospective member of staff and how you will be integrated into the staff development agenda of the university (scanned PDF copy)
• Confirmation of study leave from your university (if applicable; scanned PDF copy)
• Confirmation of teaching release (university staff members only; scanned PDF copy)
Note: all documents should be scanned and sent as one PDF document in the order listed above
- All applications must be received by
- Pre- scholarship selection and notification will be completed by
- Pre-selected candidates will be required to log into the DAAD portal https://portal.daad.de/irj/portal and register themselves and submit the same application.
- Final selection of scholarships will be carried out by DAAD
How to Apply
i. For an admission letter from Kenyatta University, apply to:
The Registrar (Academic), Kenyatta University
P.O. Box 43844 – 00100, Nairobi, Kenya
Application forms for admission to Kenyatta University and additional information is available at http://www.ku.ac.ke/admission/prospective-students. International students can apply by clicking here.
All the best to those considering this application.
Other similar scholarships opportunities
- Afya Elimu fund loan: How to apply.
- How to apply for the Kenya Education Fund Scholarship.
- Clarendon Fund Scholarships for Kenyan Students.
- Top Education Sponsors in Kenya
- Urban Kenyans Scholarships Award for intentional students.
- Zawadi Africa Education Fund: Girl Scholarship in Kenya.