The Zawadi Africa Education Fund is a leadership development program designed to offer undergraduate scholarships to academically bright girls/women students from disadvantaged communities from Africa to pursue higher education in Kenya, Ghana, the US, Uganda, and South Africa.
Zawadi Africa Education Fund provides university scholarships, life skills training and leadership development to academically gifted but financially disadvantaged African girls, with the objective of developing a pipeline of young African women leaders.
The Zawadi Africa Education Fund
The Education Fund was found in 2002 by Dr. Susan Mboya and is based on the highly successful Kennedy-Mboya Africa Student Airlifts Program of the 1960s, pioneered by Tom Mboya, (Dr. Mboya’ s father), and President John F. Kennedy.
Zawadi Africa was formed with the belief that together with a world-class education and the right character development, these young African women will be able to return to their home countries empowered and equipped with the skills needed to make significant, positive impact in their communities in a continent where traditionally women have not had a voice in the development of their community.
The selection criteria for the scholarship includes excellent academics, extracurricular involvement, leadership potential, and financial need.
The Admission decision is entirely dependent on the Universities’ Admission Boards. Shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview a month after the deadline for this application.
Zawadi Africa Education Fund Application Eligibility
The following criteria must be met in order to be eligible to apply for this scholarship
- Be a female student
- Girl child who has demonstrated clear financial need
- Come from a financially disadvantaged background.
- Should have cleared high school no more than two years before applying to Zawadi Africa.
- Have an A or an A- in your KCSE exams.
- Have undertaken/demonstrated leadership quality/role(s) in a school such as school president and/or community – Church, leadership in peer-related activities etc.
- Has overcome insurmountable odds such as serious financial challenges, oppressive social-cultural practices such as early marriages and Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) etc. in order to attain academic excellence.
Eligible Countries and Application Forms
Zawadi Africa Education Fund Application procedure
- A Signed recommendation letter from your class teacher or head teacher.
- Photocopy of your birth certificate and your National Identity Card (if you have one)
- Attach a letter from your local chief confirming his knowledge of your family and yourself. Note: The letter should preferably be written on a government letterhead document.
- A copy of your high school leaving certificate and K.C.S.E result slip as well as copies of high school certificates that show your involvement in extracurricular activities and leadership related initiatives.
- If you meet the above criteria, ensure that you complete every part of the application form.
- The application is only considered after it is completely filled.
- Write and attach a one-page biography and a passport sized photo. The biography should be TYPED and should highlight:
- Financial status
- Your family and educational background
- Your aspirations
- The hobbies as well as activities that you have undertaken while in school and in your community.
- Write and attach a 500-650 word essay on ONLY ONE of three topics listed on page seven.
- Any false statements, omissions or forged documents will lead to automatic disqualification.
- Submit a Hard Copy of this application form and the required supporting documents on or before the deadline (31st March 2017) to the designated offices written in the application forms.
Zawadi Africa Education Fund Application Deadline
Applications for the Zawadi Africa Education fund are opened and closed on the February and April respectively every year.
Visit the scholarship website for more information and download of application forms for the respective countries.
Other Similar Scholarships opportunities.