The Afya Elimu fund Loan (AEF) is a public-private partnership (PPP) initiative aimed at increasing access to both pre-service & in-service training fees for the needy middle-level college students.
It is geared towards responding to existing gaps in the capacity development of the health workforce in Kenya and unmet needs for certain cadres of health workers.
This initiative is a joint venture between the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB), Ministry of Health (MOH), the USAID funded FUNZOKenya project and KHF.
Afya Elimu Fund Loan
Afya Elimu Fund Loan: Beneficiary Courses (Certificate and Diploma)
- Clinical Medicine
- Laboratory Technologists and Technicians
- Pharmacist and Pharmaceutical Technologists
- Health Records Management and Information Technology
- Public Health Officers, Medical, Dental including oral health Practitioners
- Courses in cadres with a critical shortage of skilled health workers
Afya Elimu Fund Loan Eligibility
In order to qualify for the loan. the applicant must:
- Be a Kenyan Citizen with a residential Status in Kenya
- Demonstrate financial need
- Be a student in their 1st, 2nd or 3rd year.
- Must provide copies of required supportive
- Must commit to serving for at least 3 years in any County/Districts, marginalized or hard to reach areas upon completion of their studies.
- Be willing to abide by the bonding mechanism as set in the loan & scholarship program.
- Must commit to abide by the loan repayment and monitoring procedures provide academic progress reports and reference letters from the institution on a yearly basis to maintain funding for the ongoing period of study
- A Duly filled in application form.
- KCSE certificate.
- Second Generation National Identification Card.
- School leaving certificate.
- Recent Training Institution Academic Transcripts/ Reports.
- Current fee statement.
- Copy of letter of admission.
How to Apply
- Applicants should access and fill the Loan application form (LAF) from the HELB website
- For the first time HELB loan application. See the HELB Online Loan Application Guide
- Print a copy of the Loan Application Form.
- Have the form properly filled, signed and stamped by the relevant authorities.
- Sign the loan application form and attach all the necessary documents, as indicated.
- Submit the form to the Higher Education Loans Board Office or at any one of the HELB offices at Huduma Centers countrywide
- Retain one copy of the duly filled LAF (Mandatory).
The Higher Education Loans Board committee will use the email and telephone contacts provided on the Loan Application Form for communication on the progress of your application.