We are going to show you how to register for NHIF cover both offline and online. A person who is a resident in Kenya and has attained the age of 18 years, whose total income from salaries or self-employment is more than Ksh 1000 per month and Ksh 12,000 per year, is eligible for Registration/membership with NHIF Kenya. This includes foreign visitors permitted to work in Kenya.
You can always check the NHIF Rates to know exactly the amount you are required to contribute monthly.
Requirements for NHIF Registration
- A copy of National ID (including spouse if applicable).
- Recent colored passport size photos (including spouse & dependents if applicable).
- Original & copies of Birth Certificate(s) for dependents
- A copy of Employer Appointment/Introduction Letter (this excludes self-employed/voluntary contributors).
NHIF Registration Requirement for Foreign Residents
- Photocopies of passport, alien certificate or work permit (including spouse if applicable).
- Colored passport photo (including spouse & dependents if applicable).
Registration Requirement for Foreign Students.
- Photocopy of passport.
- Colored passport size photo.
Download and fill in the membership forms from the official NHIF Kenya website, then submit the above documents and the required amount under the Voluntary/Self Employed Category at any of NHIF branches located countrywide.
NHIF Online Registration Procedure
To register for NHIF Kenya online, visit http://www.nhif.or.ke/healthinsurance/registeronline on your computer.
For Self Registration
- Visit the NHIF Kenya Portal online
- Click on the “Self Employed” tab on the Menu provided
- Select your identification type i.e Kenyan or alien identity card
- Proceed to fill in the form in the subsequent fields.
- Attach a Scanned Copy of Your ID/PassPort/Alien ID and passport photo
- If married, attach Your Marriage Certificate.
- Click Save to submit the application.
Note: The system will notify you of your application status by sending notification SMS message to the Contributor’s Mobile Number. You can also check your NHIF Balance on phone anytime.