TALA is a California-based finance company in Kenya which offers instant unsecured mobile loans to Kenyans through its’ Android application – the TALA Loan App. The loan attracts a low-interest rate and is repayable within a stipulated period of time.
The loan repayment period is dependent on the amount borrowed and can last a week, a month or even six months. TALA offers a minimum loan amount of Ksh 500 to first-time users and up to a maximum of Ksh 50,000 for subsequent users with good loan repayment history.
Compared to Banks and other Microfinance lending institutions, TALA Loans do not require security such as payslip, Title Deeds or Car Log Book. But it is important to check your CRB status to know if you have been wrongly blacklisted.
Once downloaded, TALA Loan App scans your SMS folder for Mpesa transaction history and your voice call pattern history to build a credit score. These scans are used to determine your credit score and subsequently your loan limit. The scans also act as security features and assure Tala that the client is human and not a ghost.
From the foregoing paragraph, it means that you must have TALA App pre-installed on your phone at all times in order for you to qualify for an emergency loan. Reason being, you cannot download TALA and expect a loan on the same day.
Tala loans do not require any security and the average loan is Ksh10,000 but first-time applicants are given a minimum of Ksh 500 and have to build their creditworthiness over time. The loan increment eligibility depends on your repayment behavior of previous loans.
Since the release of the latest version, the App has seen much improvement with the introduction of features such as checking your credit limit and also seeing other customers’ success stories and reviews. This feature prepares the customer’s state of mind on what to expect when applying for a loan
TALA Loan App Application Procedure
All you need is a registered Mpesa line and an Android phone running OS 2.3.3 or higher. Read also about where to get instant unsecured mobile loans in Kenya where I have shown and describe other loan apps similar to TALA.
- Access Google play store on your smartphone to download and install Tala app
- Link the app to your active Facebook account to register as a customer.
- Provide further information to TALA such as your phone number and also by answering correctly the few personal questions provided.
- TALA loan qualification is dependent on the feedback you give on these questions.
- Relax, go play or do something else while you wait for TALA to do their magic.
- Check back after a while to confirm whether you have qualified and to also view the amount of loan you have qualified for.
Tala Loan App Repayment Procedure
TALA loan is only repaid through Mpesa via Paybill number 851900 and your registered Tala phone number as the account number.
Steps for downloading
- Access the Mpesa menu on your phone
- Select the Lipa na Mpesa menu option followed by Paybill
- Enter Paybill number 851900.
- Enter your phone number as account number
- Follow Mpesa system prompt to complete your transaction(Mpesa charges apply)
- You should receive an SMS message from Inventure Mobile Kenya confirming your loan repayment.
Apart from the method above, you can use another person’s number to repay your loan as long as you use your registered Tala phone number as the account number.
TALA Loan App Advantages
- Once you are qualified for a loan, the disbursement is fast hence making it reliable for emergency loans.
- Ample repayment period even if your loan repayment date is overdue.
- Loan defaulters are given a grace period of 60 days before being blacklisted.
- TALA loan app provides scheduled loan notification of repayments to their customers.
TALA Loan App Disadvantages
- High loan Interest rates compared to other mobile loan app operators.
- With Varying interest rates from one customer to another and credit limit, it is very difficult to determine your loan interest rate.
Kindly remember that all non-performing loans of more than 90 days overdue are listed as defaulter as provided in section 18 of the Credit Reference Bureau Regulations ACT 2013.
Tala Loan App Customer Care Contact Details
TALA company provides several channels of communication for feedback, please click to find more on How to contact Tala.
Let us hear about your Tala loan app experience in the comment section below. Why don’t you share this post if you like it? 🙂