This call for application is for female applicants only. The Mwalimu Nyerere African Union Scholarships Scheme was launched in 2007. Its goal is to contribute to the production and retention of high calibre African human capital for sustainable development of the continent in critical development areas while promoting regional integration through intra-Africa mobility of students.
What’s It Purpose?
The Scholarship Scheme is intended to enable young Africans to study in reputable African Universities with a binding agreement that beneficiaries will work in any African country for at least the same duration of scholarship period after graduation.
To encourage the participation of young African female students at postgraduate level,
for Masters and PhD programmes in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and
Mathematics (STEM), the African Union Commission is offering a Call for Scholarship
Applications (For Female Applicants Only).
i. Be a Female Citizen of an African Union Member State
ii. Be under the age of thirty-five (35) years for Masters Programmes, and under
forty (40) years for PhD Programs.
iii. Be a holder of a Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant field, at the level of Upper
Second Class Honours for a Masters’ Programme; and a holder of Masters’
Degree in the appropriate field for a PhD Programme. The degree must be from
a reputable University
iv. Have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement as evidenced by
academic transcripts, and academic awards if any.
v. Have proof of admission to undertake a full-time Masters or PhD programme
in a recognized university of an African Union Member State.
vi. Be willing to commit to working in an African Union Member State on completion
of studies for at least three (3) years.
No application will be considered without an admission letter from a university.
Note: To promote, intra-Africa student mobility, candidates are encouraged to
seek admission to universities in countries other than their own.
Eligible Fields of Study
The Master’s program is two years long while the PhD program three years long.
The scholarship award once won covers the following:
- Tuition fees are equivalent to the official invoice given by host institution.
- Stipend worth 500 US$ monthly, to support living expenses such as housing, food, utilities, local transportation and medication.
- Book allowance to allow the purchase of books, worth 500 US$ per year.
- Air ticket: A round-trip economy fare for the most direct route between the beneficiary’s home country and the study destination of host Institute.
- Travel allowance: One-off payment of 250 US$ to contribute towards ground transportation from airport and settling-in costs; One-off payment of 350 US$ to assist with shipping and other terminals
expenses; upon departure from the host Institution after successful
completion of the study.
- Computer allowance, a one-off payment of 1,000 US$ for the purchase of laptop
computer and accessories.
How To Apply for Mwalimu Nyerere Scholarship Scheme
Find the necessary application documents on
www.au.int/en/scholarship. The applicants should submit a formal application containing the following:
i. Completed application form
ii. Recent passport-size photograph
iii. Summarized CV with names and contacts of two referees.
iv. Certified copies of academic certificates and transcripts
v. Certified copies of Passport or National Identity Card indicating citizenship
vi. Copy of admission letter from a reputable African University
vii. Two (2) Reference Letters with contact addresses.
viii. An essay of not more than 500 words that explains why the candidate has
chosen her particular field of study and its importance to Africa’s
In addition to this, send two (2) hard copies to of the above documents via post to:
Mwalimu Nyerere Scholarship Programme
Department of Human Resources, Science and Technology
African Union Commission
P.O. Box 3243
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
To conclude, this is all you need to submit your application, all the best!
Other similar scholarships opportunities
- Afya Elimu fund loan
- How to apply for the Kenya Education Fund Scholarship.
- Clarendon Fund Scholarships for Kenyan Students.
- Top Education Sponsors in Kenya
- Urban Kenyans Scholarships Award for intentional students.
- Zawadi Africa Education Fund: Girl Scholarship in Kenya.