If you love making video calls to your friends and family, then you need to activate Safaricom VoLTE or ViLTE on your mobile device. Why?
Safaricom Volte enables you to make ultra-high definition voice and video calls at normal call charges using airtime or minutes – no data required.
Besides voice, VoLTE doesn’t only means voice over LTE. It includes other multimedia services such as SMS, Video calling (ViLTE) and other related rich communication services. So, What is Safaricom VoLTE and how does it work?
In today’s post, you’re going to learn everything you need to know about the recently introduced call/video call feature by Safaricom and how to use it to your advantage. Let’s do this.
What is Safaricom VoLTE?
Safaricom VoLTE is a 4G network-based service that enables you to make better Voice and Ultra HD video calls on VoLTE enabled devices. Let’s move on to find out how to activate VoLTE on your mobile device.
You’re asking why? Here are some of the reasons why should use Volte.
- You get to multitask seamlessly while on a call. You can browse, check messages and easily switch to video call if you want. Seeing is believing remember? ?
- While on VoLTE, you also get to enjoy fast call set up.
- VoLTE calls and video calls are super HD with ultra-clear reduced background noises.
VoLTE and ViLTE requirements
For this feature to work on your phone, you the caller and your recipient should meet the following requirements.
- 4G network coverage – Your device should support 4G and you should also be in an area covered by the 4G network. Click here to see if your area is covered by the 4G network.
- VoLTE/ViLTE enabled device.
- A 4G enabled SIM card.
- Lastly, your phone should be running the latest operating system available on the market. See below if your device is supported.
How to activate VoLTE on your mobile device.
First things first, you need to check if your SIM card is 4G enabled. To do this;
How to check if your SIM card is 4G enabled
- On your Safaricom SIM card, dial *100#.
- Select option 98, (More).
- Choose option 12 (VoLTE) to check if your SIM is 4G enabled. (This menu might be different due to updates).
- If your SIM card isn’t enabled, the following message will be sent to you shortly thereafter.
“Dear customer, your SIM card is not 4G enabled. Visit the nearest Safaricom retail store to replace your Sim card today. Join the 4G movement.” Well, you now know what to do.
You might also like How to Fuliza M-PESA: 4 Steps (with Pictures).
Upgrading to a 4G enabled SIM card is free as the air you breathe, just visit any of the Safaricom shop or outlet near you to swap your SIM card. Now let’s find out if your smartphone is also 4G enabled.
How to check if your phone is 4G capable and activate 4G/LTE
- Unlock your phone and access the network setting.
- If you’re using an Android device. Open Settings>Mobile Network/Preferred Network Type> Select Network type “4G/LTE”. And if you’re privileged to own an iPhone, open Settings>Mobile/Cellular>Voice & Data
Note, depending on the model of your phone you should be able to see LTE/4G in addition to other mobile network settings.
See also: How to shop on AliExpress using M-PESA.
Now, that your SIM card is 4G enabled and you have turned on/ changed your phone to use VoLTE, here is how to activate Volte on your SIM card.
- Dial *100#
- Select option 98 “More” to access the next menu items.
- Select VoLTE
- Choose option 3 to Enable/Disable Volte on your SIM card.
Safaricom VoLTE: List of supported devices
Currently, Volte is supported by the following devices. You can also check out the latest devices available on Safaricom shops or Masoko.com.
The following Samsung phones are supported.
- Samsung A series ( A10, A2 Core,A20, A30, A50, A70, A80, A72018, A6+, A8+ and A9 2018).
- Galaxy Note 8 and 9
- Next, the J series (J4, J4+, J6, J6+, and J8).
- Lastly, the S series model S8, S8+, S9, S9+, S10+ and finally S10E.
Nokia 3.1, Nokia 4.1, Nokia 3.1 Pro, Nokia 4.1 Pro, Nokia 5.1, Nokia 5.1 Pro, Nokia 6.1, Nokia 6.1 Pro, Nokia 7.1, and lastly Nokia 7.1 Pro.
Safaricom’s own devices that include Neon Ray, Neon Lite, Neon plus and lastly Neon Nova.
Huawei features quite a number of devices that support the 4G network. These devices include:
- The Mate series which is made up of Huawei Mate 10 and Mate 10 Pro as well as the Huawei Mate 20 and Mate 20 Pro.
- The Y series which include Y5 Lite, Y5 2019. Y6 2019, and lastly Y7 2019.
- Lastly, the P series such as P30, P30 Lite, P30 Pro, and lastly, the P20’s that is P20, and both the P20 Lite and Pro versions
Other devices include phones such as the famous Tecno Camon 11, Phatom9, and last but not least Infinix S4 together with Itel A23.
Well, don’t you worry, if your phone isn’t listed above, then, I guess, now is the time to upgrade your smartphone.
To sum up, there are many things you can do with your smartphone to make your life easier and better. If you find this post interesting and insightful, why don’t you share it with your friends and family? Remember sharing is caring. ? Cheers!